Upa (ウパ Upa ) is a fictional baby character created by Konami in 1988 for the Famicom Disk System game Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa. He has not been released in a game outside of Japan other than the pirated game Mario Baby, which was identical to Bio Miracle but with an altered title screen.
Upa crawls around armed with a magic rattle. When an enemy is struck with this rattle weapon, it inflates like a balloon and slowly floats away to the top of the screen. When inflated, enemies can then be used as temporary floating platforms to climb to higher places or used as weapons if they are pushed. He can also become temporarily invincible and gain the ability to walk if he obtains a special power-up.
In Wai Wai World 2: SOS!! Parsley Castle, Upa is a possible playable character whose rattle functions somewhat differently than in Bio Miracle. When Upa hits an enemy with a rattle, instead of inflating, it simply turns into a cloud which floats upward and he can use it as a platform. This time around, he can't push it and use it as a weapon. There are also special bonus blocks for Upa in two stages that are based on Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa.
Upa in the Parodius series
Upa, along with a new female counterpart named Rupa (ルパ Rupa ) (presumably his twin sister), appear in the Super Famicom version of Gokujō Parodius! and Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius. They both have similar, but somewhat different weapon configurations, both of which are based on the weaponset from the Raiden series. The first level music from Bio Miracle is played at the beginning of each stage if the player is using Upa or Rupa.
- 1988 – Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (Famicom Disk System, Famicom, mobile phone) – Protagonist.
- 1991 – Wai Wai World 2: SOS!! Parsley Castle (Famicom) – One of several protagonists
- 1994 – Gokujō Parodius! (Super Famicom version only) – He, along with Rupa, are two of several selectable characters.
- 1995 – Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius (Super Famicom) – He, along with Rupa, are two of several selectable characters.
- 1997 – Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius: forever with me (PlayStation, Sega Saturn, PSP) – He, along with Rupa, are two of several selectable characters.
- 2002 – Pop'n Music 9 (arcade, PlayStation 2) - Upa and Rupa make cameos appearances in the game.
- 2005 – CR Gokujō Parodius! (Pachinko)
- 2006 – Konami Wai Wai World (mobile phone) – The mobile phone version of same name replaces Mikey with Upa and a Candy stage.
- 2010 – Gokuraku Parodius! (Pachislot) – Upa makes cameo in Pachislot.
- 2017 – Super Bomberman R – Upa appears as Upa Bomber.
|Gokujō Parodius! ~Kako no Eikō o Motomete~|
|Characters||Takosuke and Belial • Vic Viper and Lord British • Pentaro and Hanako • TwinBee and WinBee • Hikaru and Akane • Mambo and Samba • Michael and Gabriel • Koitsu and Aitsu • Goemon and Ebisumaru • Dracula-kun and Kid Dracula • Upa and Rupa • Mr. Past Glory|
|Stages||Circo Porto Harborland • Cat Battleship Forever • Candy Land • Traffic Signs • Core Ship Parade • Moai Battleship • The Moon • Disco • Shooting Memories|
|Bosses||Anna Pavlova • Cat Submarine • Eliza • Decoration Core • Crazy Core • Capsule Monster Cappuccino • Yoshiko • Princess Kaguya • Chichibinta Rika • Tako's Cutie • Pentaro X|
|Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius|
|Characters||Takohiko and Belial • Vic Viper and Lord British • Pentaro and Hanako • TwinBee and WinBee • Sue and Memim • Mike and Ran • Soitsu and Doitsu • Upa and Rupa • Dracula-kun and Kid Dracula • Mr. Past Glory|
|Stages||Hip Hop Disco • School • Donburi Fields • Edo • Sweet Land • High Speed Patrol • Fiesta Base • Polygon Space (Omake 1) • Grand Prix (Omake 2)|
|Bosses||Mirror Ball • Judy • Enormous Hikaru and Akane • Mardock and Warumon's Ships • BaronBee • BoinBee • Goemon Compact • Decoration Core MK II • Cat Battle Train • Big Core MK I (SNES) • Ghost Woman (SNES) • Big BaronBee (SNES) • John Wanjiro (PSX) • Penkuro (PSX) • Temple Lord • Mr. Goldfish's Selling Fortress • Chichibinta Rika • Bacteriya • Robot Wall|