The Power Capsule (パワーカプセル Pawā Kapuseru ) is the main power-up item found in all games that conform the Gradius series. They are always found upon destroying certain enemy formations or red-colored enemies.
Power Capsule types
- Red Capsule: The main type of capsule found in the games. When picked up, the Red Capsule will light up the Power Meter. Each time you pick another Red Capsule the next power-up will light up in the meter, allowing the player to choose the desirable weapon they want to equip.
- Blue Capsule: Dropped after a certain amount of Red Capsules, the Blue Capsule automatically destroys all minor enemies onscreen when picked up and damages larger enemies and stations. The flash that ensues upon pickup doesn't destroy onscreen enemy projectiles, though.
In the PC Engine version of the original game, the player can find unique capsules in the game's special stages:
- Yellow Capsule: Consecutively adds to your score for each capsule picked, giving 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1,000 points.
- Purple Capsule: Gives rapid fire ability to the Vic Viper for a short amount of time.
- Green Capsule: Gives an extra life.