Lord British (ロードブリティッシュ Rōdo Buritisshu ) is a recurring spacecraft from the Gradius series. It made its debut in Salamander, where it is controlled by Player 2. Lord British has had other names such as Lord. B or Road British, the latter as a result of romanization. It has red streaks instead of blue ones as those from Vic Viper, and it's in the shape of a jet.
Since Lord British debuted in Salamander, all of the new weapons (including the Tailgun, despite not being in Salamander) in that game were instantly attributed to it (despite also being available to Vic Viper at that time and with the weapon set being used by it in later games).
In Gradius Gaiden, where Vic Viper was limited to the Standard Type 1 weapon set, it gained the Disruptor, its exclusive replacement for Vic Viper's Laser (the Ripple Laser is now the Double). The Disruptor is a unique red-orange laser in that it shoots out in a pulse-like manner and that each beam reaches the length of the screen. Its main disadvantage is it's low rapid rating, as enemies may be able to sneak up on Lord British when it has finished firing the Disruptor.
- When Disruptor is leveled up, it resembles Death MK II's laser, but smaller, thinner and reddish.
- The ship is named after the brave prince of Latis, who piloted the ship by himself and defeated the Salamander Army along with Vic Viper from planet Gradius. This wasn't changed in the Salamander anime, whereas many other background settings in the original video game got slightly changed in the anime trilogy.
- Lord British and the other Gradius Gaiden's ships have a kind of hyper-driver system than allows them to travel faster than light to escape the black hole in Stage 7.
- A sentient version of Lord British joined Takosuke's star team in Gokujō Parodius!
- The ship's name is a reference to the character Lord British from the Ultima series of western role playing games, who in turn is a reference to Richard Garriott, an influential programmer and designer for said series.
|Ships||Vic Viper • Lord British • Jade Knight • Falchion β|
|Stages||Beyond the White Storm • Requiem for Revengers • Into the Crystal Cage • Ruins of Silence • Organic Fortress • Green Inferno • On the Event Horizon • Formidable Guardians • Fate...|
|Bosses||Blizzard Crawler • Grave • Nobil • Shining Core • Moai Dimension • Mad Skin • Stinger Kid • Hunter Fang • Giga's Rose • Kraken • Laser Tetran • DeathDouble • Parasite Core • Triple Core • Deltatry • Juggler Core • Neo Big Core • Heaven's Gate • Boost Core • Gunner Wall • Heavy Ducker • Sol • O.V.U.M.|
|Ships||Vic Viper • Lord British • Alpinia|
|Stages||The River Styx • Fierce Blaze • Curse • Abyssal Forest • Speed Demon • Solar Assault|
|Bosses||Big Core MK I • Intruder • Tutankhamon • Dinosaur • Big Core MK II • Crab|