Gunwalls are a stationary type of miniboss which usually attacks by firing a wide assortment of laser turrets that it has affixed along its main structure and by releasing Duckers from small circular hangars or generators located at both ground and ceiling levels. They are usually found on the last stage, almost midway through the level, and each has various degrees of difficulty.
They have one to three cores (usually the latter), all located at the end of a tight opening and protected by several shield panels that must be destroyed in order to reach them. Once all the cores are taken out, the whole structure will explode and give the player access to the area beyond it.
The first appearance of a gunwall was in Salamander.
The following is a list of all the gunwalls in the Gradius games:
- Fortress Valis - Salamander, Life Force
- Demos - Gradius II
- Pinwall - Parodius Da!
- Crazy Core - Gokujō Parodius!
- Disrupt - Gradius III, Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius, Sexy Parodius
- Mr. Goldfish's Selling Fortress - Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius, Sexy Parodius
- Cliff Core - Gradius Galaxies
- Gunner Wall - Gradius Gaiden, Otomedius Excellent
- Crystal Gust - Gradius Galaxies
- Bloody Gate - Gradius IV
- Keeper's Core - Gradius V
- Plate Core - Salamander 2
- Enigma - Salamander (MSX), Gradius ReBirth
- Venom - Nemesis 2, Salamander (MSX)
- Guardian Core - Gradius: The Interstellar Assault