Eagle Eagle Sabnosuke (イーグル ワシサブノスケ Īguru Washi Sabunosuke , lit: Eagle Wasabnosuke) is the Stage 2 boss of Parodius Da! He is fought in every port of the game.
It later showed up in the Boss Rush stage of Sexy Parodius. A smaller version also appeared in Gokujō Parodius! and in the Special Stage of Sexy Parodius as a recurring enemy. These enemies drop either 4 Power Capsules or 5 Bells when defeated, depending on their color of their hat's star stripe. Blue-hatted ones are more common mostly, while the green ones appear in the special stage or before some bosses, if the player has died in the checkpoint of the boss.
Certain ports of the game replaced the bosses' graphics with something less controversial, by making the eagle almost green in whole, much to censor the character parody intentions. It's weak point is the head, but it can be hit only when he is not attacking.
Eagle Eagle Sabnosuke has mostly the same attack pattern in all its appearances. Unlike the original boss, the Eagle will fly around the screen, as opposed to warping, removing what some viewed as a unfair attack.
Sabnosuke's main attack is to release a randomized spread of feathers, although in the NES version these are aimed towards the player, and move very slowly. It will also fire a volley of Ripple Lasers from its beak, which, unlike the fireballs of the Phoenix, cannot be destroyed. In the NES version these take up a very large portion of the screen.
- Eagle Eagle Sabnosuke appears to be a parody of Sam the Olympic Eagle, who was used by Konami to promote the release of Hyper Sports, the second game in the Track & Field series.
- It is generally believed this boss was the reason that the Parodius games never made it to US, seeing how it parodies an American icon.
- This boss, based on its attacks, could be a mix of Death and Phoenix.
- In the PAL versions of Gokujō Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (PSX/Saturn), Eagle Eagle Sabnosuke's colors were changed to green feathers with a red and white hat. Strangely, this change didn't happen on the SNES version of Parodius, which was released in PAL regions.
- In the NES and Famicom versions of Parodius Da!, Eagle Eagle Sabnosuke is given a blue hat instead of his American hat, possibly due to color limitations.
- The Chicken Contestant in Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun looks very similar in appearance to Eagle Eagle Sabnosuke, also wearing a similar hat.
|Characters||Tako • Vic Viper • Pentaro • TwinBee|
|Stages||Pirate Island • Las Vegas • Omake Stage (PSX/SAT) • Labyrinth • Amusement Park (FC) • Crystal Cave (GB) • Japan • Moai Battleship • Pachinko • Clouds and Bubbles • Ice Cave • Night of the Living Dead • Public Bath (SNES) • Zeo's Fortress|
|Bosses||Cat Battleship • Captain Penguinovski the 3rd • Chichibinta Rika • Eagle Eagle Sabnosuke • Hot Lips • Pig Tide • Yoshiko • Viva Core • Honey Miyako • Pooyan • Iron Maiden MK III • Yoshiwara Dayuu • Showering Beauty • Golgotha Takobee|
|Port Exclusive||Miss Mishitarina • Madam of Yotsuya Q • Viking Moai • Woon Botton • Tako Hyuuma • Penguin Bomb • Crystal Golem • Penguin Conducter • Pinwall • Marvelous Green Mantle • Great Gourmet King Manjiri Kun • Super DX Emperor Penguin|
|Characters||Vic Viper and Lord British • Ivan and Toby • Hikaru and Akane • Mambo and Samba • Michael and Gabriel • Koitsu and Aitsu • Option and Multiple • Shooting Star and Black Viper (Ace) • The Old Lecher Tako|
|Stages||Farm • Bath House • Underwater Palace • Castle Dracula • Girl Factory • Coal Mine • Sweet Sky • Boss Rush • Taj Mahal • Special Stage|
|Bosses||Corn Chiwa • Finally Penguin • Otohime • Medusa • Transporting Crane • Tanuko the Tanuki • Candy Core • Capsule Monster Cappuccino • Captain Penguinovski the 3rd • Eagle Eagle Sabnosuke • Hot Lips • Yuko • "Mon" • Kaori • Sexy Star|