Duckers are a kind of mobile bipedal cannon that walks along the terrain, top or bottom, on two stilt-like mechanical legs. They appear from the left side of the screen, race along the terrain in order to get ahead of the Vic Viper, and fire back at it. They usually shoot a single basic bullet, but on other games/loops/difficulties, a Ducker may shoot more the one. Duckers have made appearances in nearly every Gradius game, as well its various spinoffs and even making cameos in other Konami games. They're usually found in the first stages, and then later stages where many mechanical enemies attack.
Usually two Duckers will run on screen together, one on the top and one on the bottom, far ahead of the Vic Viper, then stop and fire bullets at it. They'll continue running if Vic Viper passes them until they're ahead again, and the pattern repeats.
- Duckers sometimes do very weird things in the games, most notably in Gradius. In the last level, when they try to change elevations, instead their sprite will simply move extremely fast to the required elevation.
- Two enemies in Contra III: The Alien Wars (also by Konami) are inspired on this enemy: the Rotating Ducker and the Tetranducker (the later also being inspired in part on the Tetran).
- In the game Monster Maulers, an older-looking steampunk version of the Ducker is piloted by the first of the game's three final bosses, Mr. Chin.
- Duckers also appeared in other Konami franchises, such as Yu-Gi-Oh!
- One of this enemy's variations, called "Running Wild", is possibly named after the song of the same name by British heavy metal band Judas Priest from their 1979 album Killing Machine (known in the US as Hell Bent for Leather).
|Ships||Vic Viper • Lord British • Jade Knight • Falchion β|
|Stages||Beyond the White Storm • Requiem for Revengers • Into the Crystal Cage • Ruins of Silence • Organic Fortress • Green Inferno • On the Event Horizon • Formidable Guardians • Fate...|
|Bosses||Blizzard Crawler • Grave • Nobil • Shining Core • Moai Dimension • Mad Skin • Stinger Kid • Hunter Fang • Giga's Rose • Kraken • Laser Tetran • DeathDouble • Parasite Core • Triple Core • Deltatry • Juggler Core • Neo Big Core • Heaven's Gate • Boost Core • Gunner Wall • Heavy Ducker • Sol • O.V.U.M.|